Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wii Homebrew. What can I do with it?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1  Share
Generalbeatrix

Generalbeatrix

I like stuff

• 7,670 posts
So I'm interested in Homebrew because I wouldn't mind spicing up my Wii. What kind of things can you do when you have homebrew on the wii? I'm not too interested in having multimedia features such as DVD playback(but i guess it's a plus), or mp3 playback(unless you can do it in-game) because my multimedia center is in one area where I have my p.c.

Something I'm really wondering is it allows my gamesaves on my GCN Memory Card onto the wii'smemory/SD card. Can I make the Wii blue light glow all the time while playing a game? Does it let me navigate the wii menu with just a GCn controller if I want to just start up Brawl/a vc game?

I'm also wondering why Nintendo considers it a bad thing, is there illegal stuff you can do with it?(not super interested, jusat wanting to know the reason). Does the Twilight Hack still work? What's the risk and is it worth it? I got the newest Wii menu update, Can I still do it?

Thanks for your help and I'm sure others who read this will be too.

#2  Share
Artorias

Artorias

Bad Girl

• 13,351 posts
There's a difference between homebrew, and what you want, which is soft modding. Homebrew only installs things like a NAND backup and DVD playing capability, and various "apps" which do things like play emulators and whatnot.
What you're describing, are features that (I think) would only be utilized with soft modding, which cracks open the code of the wii to install custom ios's and whatnot. It's risky, but much more worht it.
However, I think the latest wii update (there's a recent one, right?) currently makes homebrew and modding worthless. You'll have to check up on mod sites to see when you're gonna be able to hack the latest firmware.
  • Generalbeatrix likes this

#3  Share
M.CELAIRE

M.CELAIRE

Don't Mess With The "Mario Gang"!

• 15,966 posts
Just a slight reminder to not bring up anything that would encourage "illegal activity". Because Nintendo's stance on this is that cases like that bring the results that end in illegal activity being done. They know the Homebrew Channel exists and they're trying all they can to see that it gets annihilated completely.

Edited by M.CELAIRE, Jul 19 2010, 04:10 PM

• Destiny Hero likes this

#4  Share
Extraz

Extraz
  • 30,662 posts
there's homebrew games, media players and the ability to play DVDs, ways to insert gamesaves onto GCN memory cards, and cheating, and some mods like Brawl+ even give some games extra content. You can also play games that never made it to the US like Captain Rainbow and Fatal Frame 4

#5  Share
Hipster Jade

Hipster Jade

YEEAAAAHH!

• 12,002 posts
It's worth it. There's no risk unless you do something you SHOULDN'T which I will point out:

pretty much: No skins, don't **** with cIOS/IOS, no wads, and you're safe and legal

The Twilight Hack was killed a long time ago. Most people use Bannerbomb but update 4.3 killed it for the time being. You're only two options are Stack Smash (requires SSBB) or Indiana PWNS (req. Lego indiana jones) (google them)

Here's some things I like to do:

Cheats (i like to use AccioHacks)
Gecko (boot import games, also bypasses game update)
Brawl+ (more balanced ver. of brawl)
Numerous apps can play MP3s
Riivolution - allows for games to be translated, or custom levels/music etc
Homebrew Browser - browse homebrew apps on wii, download whatever you want
SNES emulators :P
Extracting/Installing saves (even ones blocked, like brawl)
Custom Textures are nice too.

I'm afraid that you can't use GCN controller for the menu, or Like you said theres also DVD player, but it doesn't work for me for whatever reason
And you can backup GCN saves to SD, and take GC saves from SD and put them on the GC Mem Card. Try NuGaSa

There's a difference between homebrew, and what you want, which is soft modding. Homebrew only installs things like a NAND backup and DVD playing capability, and various "apps" which do things like play emulators and whatnot.
What you're describing, are features that (I think) would only be utilized with soft modding, which cracks open the code of the wii to install custom ios's and whatnot. It's risky, but much more worht it.
However, I think the latest wii update (there's a recent one, right?) currently makes homebrew and modding worthless. You'll have to check up on mod sites to see when you're gonna be able to hack the latest firmware.

Also, homebrew and softmod are the same thing. cIOS's are just getting more complicated. Softmod just means without modchips

Just a slight reminder to not bring up anything that would encourage "illegal activity". Because Nintendo's stance on this is that cases like that bring the results that end in illegal activity being done. They know the Homebrew Channel exists and they're trying all they can to see that it gets annihilated completely.

And they're doing a terrible job at it :P
If you really saw what some of these new updates did it's hilarious.
Like, 9 months later and Nintendo finally realizes they changed the title id from HAXX to JODI :P.

So, just remember: No cIOS/Wads/Skins and you're all good.

The illegal things you'd be asking about is people installing cIOS's so they can install WADs which are WW/VC games. The other thing is using cIOS's to load backups via burned disc or USB.

While the usbloader can be very good to have all your games without getting up, most people use it for illegal purposes :(.

Oh, and FWIW the Homebrew Channel makers hate pirates, and they don't support those apps by any means.

Edited by Unability, Jul 19 2010, 04:43 PM

• Generalbeatrix likes this

#6  Share
japtar

japtar
  • 6,739 posts
I was considering this when I purchase my Wii in the near future. I personally don't have a DVD player, so installing Mplayer is my top priority. I otherwise don't care for installing games, both pirated and homebrewed.

I was wondering about 2 things.

1) If I purchase the Wii now, which menu version does it have installed?
2) If I install homebrew, how would I update the Wii, at least to get channels working on an SD card? I think v4.1 fits this bill.

#7  Share
Hipster Jade

Hipster Jade

YEEAAAAHH!

• 12,002 posts

I was considering this when I purchase my Wii in the near future. I personally don't have a DVD player, so installing Mplayer is my top priority. I otherwise don't care for installing games, both pirated and homebrewed.

I was wondering about 2 things.

1) If I purchase the Wii now, which menu version does it have installed?
2) If I install homebrew, how would I update the Wii, at least to get channels working on an SD card? I think v4.1 fits this bill.

1. Don't know, but it doesn't matter. I THINK they're 4.0, which has channels on SD card
2. Updating past 4.2 is useless, it doesn't add anything. Just stick with the 4.0

#8  Share
dlf

dlf
  • 148 posts
When I got mine a few weeks ago they were 4.2, a few days later 4.3 was released. Most likely the factory image is updated and probably now ship 4.3.

If you are into the USB loader, I RECOMEND a external USB hardrive. Why? I think faster loading screens (less wait), no / less hassle of keeping track of DVD's with burned games on them (which run slower than a external), the DVD drive of the Wii lasts longer (should), you can buy about a terabyte hardrive and put several hundred gigabytes worth of games on it and able to all of what you have . . . . . . . . .

The updates past 4.0, really don't add anything else 4.1 fixes a bug in Wii Sports Resort

Edited by dlf, Jul 19 2010, 08:14 PM

#9  Share
Sidepocket

Sidepocket
  • 812 posts
Here are two links to get you started. Smash Stack, Indiana Pwns or Banterbomb.

http://wiibrew.org/w...omebrew_Channel

http://wiibrew.org/w...ew_applications

As for why Nintendo sees it as illigal, I hosted a panel at The Next Hope (a computer hacker and maker confrence in NYC) and had to answer that same question. So here is the short version:

Nintendo out of the three is the laziest when it comes to dealing with homebrew. Their main concern is people screwing around with online data and piracy, and pirates use the same types of exploits that the homebrew community does. In fact, pirates often exploit discoveries and unlocks from homebrew communities and thus that is why the homebrew scene hates pirates.

They also do so because of the third parties. Nintendo knows that even with the possiblity of piracy that their own first-party line up will sell like hotcakes no matter what, but any hint of potential piracy will make all third parties cry fowl since it's those companies that get hammered the most in terms of sales and piracy no matter how good or bad they are. So Nintendo also does it to shut them up.

Any more questions?

P.S. My talk and slides will be up online shortly. =D

#10  Share
japtar

japtar
  • 6,739 posts

When I got mine a few weeks ago they were 4.2, a few days later 4.3 was released. Most likely the factory image is updated and probably now ship 4.3.

Dawwwwwww :(.

P.S. My talk and slides will be up online shortly. =D

Hey, sweet, I'd love to learn more....on hacking, that is. Unfortunately, my ability to reverse-engineer any Assembly code is abysmal, so I might not get very far on this regard :(.

I think, though, the point of Homebrew-hate is exactly that: reverse-engineering. I remember a member from Team Twiizers mentioning that they greatly disliked it when they found a bug leading to piracy because....they openly revealed bits of the source code.

Edited by japtar, Jul 19 2010, 10:55 PM

#11  Share
PyroJing  

PyroJing
  • 11,185 posts
Don't feel bad about the piracy, because the homebrew guys emailed Nintendo multiple times about those holes and how to fix them, and they were totally blown off, Nintendo's fault for not listening and making a very simple OS.

Personally I love what I've done with homebrew, from changing the color of my homescreen, to removing the health warning, to allowing DVD playback, having emulators, being able to play backups on an external HDD so I don't have to deal with discs, to all the other homebrew games and apps I have. If it wasn't for homebrew, I would have sold my Wii to support my PS3 collection.

#12  Share
japtar

japtar
  • 6,739 posts

Don't feel bad about the piracy, because the homebrew guys emailed Nintendo multiple times about those holes and how to fix them, and they were totally blown off, Nintendo's fault for not listening and making a very simple OS.

Personally I love what I've done with homebrew, from changing the color of my homescreen, to removing the health warning, to allowing DVD playback, having emulators, being able to play backups on an external HDD so I don't have to deal with discs, to all the other homebrew games and apps I have. If it wasn't for homebrew, I would have sold my Wii to support my PS3 collection.

Well, apparently the Wii is more like a BIOS than an OS. Poorly crafted one, too: all updates practically rewrites the entire kernel.

As for the piracy issue, being hush-hush about the source code is a common business practice, so no surprises there. It's merely that they actually reacted when the flaw was given openly to public. Seeing that Team Twiizers "revealed proprietary information," Nintendo got heated up.

#13  Share
PyroJing  

PyroJing
  • 11,185 posts
Well firmware is a mix of OS and BIOS, just the Wii doesn't have much in terms of OS.

And Team Twiizers didn't make the flaw public, though Waninkoko did. All TT wanted was some confirmation that someone in Nintendo R&D actually read their message, but they learned it was ignored and never passed through.

#14  Share
japtar

japtar
  • 6,739 posts

Well firmware is a mix of OS and BIOS, just the Wii doesn't have much in terms of OS.

And Team Twiizers didn't make the flaw public, though Waninkoko did. All TT wanted was some confirmation that someone in Nintendo R&D actually read their message, but they learned it was ignored and never passed through.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

#15  Share
Sidepocket

Sidepocket
  • 812 posts

I find that interesting because in terms of Homebrew and modification PS3 is now actually on a worse off scale so why the love for the PS3. =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users