Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Community Poll: Bad Word Filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
304 replies to this topic

Poll: Bad Word Filter (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like us to revise the word filter?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID
NSiders,

Since NS2 first opened we've had word filters (aka censors) in varying forms finally settling upon replacing everyone's cussing with *'s. These censors were also applied to videos and pictures and we would remove anything that bypassed the censor. Very recently we changed our rulings a little so that you could post videos and pictures that bypassed the forum censor in spoiler tags. Now we're thinking of changing a few more things regarding the censor and would like some feedback on it.

I've spoken with Sanjay (owner of NSider2 if you don't know yet) already and he said that he is ok with allowing swearing on the forum. So if the community is in support of it then the staff is prepared to remove a majority of the censors. Fun fact: we only censor 10 words when you get rid of the variations. So doing this would remove about 70% of the censor. We are not removing censors completely though because Sanjay is not ok with slurs or pejoratives. Really that's only 3 words and I think that NSider2 can handle 3 words.

So a summary of what this means if it is supported and other details you should know:
- You will be allowed to swear
- You will be allowed to post images and videos with swears in them free of spoiler tags
- You will NOT be allowed to use hate speech
- You will NOT be allowed to post graphic or extremely violent content unless it is in spoiler tags and is marked appropriately (this rule has not changed, but I feel I should mention it anyway)
- Very excessive and unnecessary use of profanity will likely be removed and will go punished if it becomes a problem (with power comes responsibility and all that good stuff)
- There will still be some words that will be censored (slurs and pejoratives) and you should keep this in mind when posting
- As a general rule of thumb you should not direct profanity at another user (though we tend to let things slide a lot around here) and if it becomes a significant problem then you can expect the rules to change accordingly
- Regardless of how many people are in favor of this change, if the staff feels that it is being abused then the censors will be put back in place
- No, we cannot add a feature that makes it so you can choose to have censors or not. I have asked IPS multiple times and it's simply impossible because of the way that posts are stored in the database. I don't know how credible this is because IPS might simply be too lazy, but either way, we cannot do it. Stop asking please.

We'll do a poll this time since there's not much to say. Fell free to discuss this and I'll close the poll up in about a week. Enjoy.

~SHRIMPKID
NSider2 Forum Administration

Because you asked for it.

Words that will become uncensored:
Spoiler

Words that will remain censored:
Spoiler

NOTE: I censor bypassed for example purposes. You may not censor bypass in this thread. If you want to talk about a specific word then be creative.
  • Revan likes this

#2  Share
Redneckzilla

Redneckzilla

The One and Only

• 15,444 posts
**** Yeah
  • Shyrangerr likes this

#3  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID
Should also mention that removing the filter won't change old posts.

#4  Share
Knights of HyruleLeader Winona  

Leader Winona

I can see the ebb and flow of the winds.

• 68,199 posts
To be honest, I like it just fine the way it is.
  • Jayde likes this

Swift.png

#5  Share
Falcon

Falcon

Afro Master of the art of Jaekwondo

• 10,777 posts
We can post images and videos with swearing without getting in trouble. I'm perfectly content with that much, honestly. I don't find censoring posts to be that big of a deal.

#6  Share
Guest- Emmy Altava

Guest- Emmy Altava
I'm not really sure it makes a difference, since there aren't that many blocked words and generally with the asterisks there are only one or two of them that would fit in the context of a sentence.

So sure. y;

#7  Share
AdminJuni

Juni

Lead Admin

• 58,585 posts
As long as I can say the W word. I'm tired of calling women scrumpets.
  • Yoshimaster, Kodiack and dscuber9000 like this

#8  Share
Aya-kun

Aya-kun
  • 3,165 posts
Even though I'm not fond of curse words in general, I ****ing love the word **** in the correct comedic context.

I'm all for this.

#9  Share
Guest- Warsaw

Guest- Warsaw
I don't mind the system overall, although posting videos and images with words would be alright. The F and the S word are commonplace but at the same time have always been censored, so I can go either way there regarding to uncensor them. Racial and sexist slurs should remain censored, but the b word should probably be uncensored since that's not used nearly as often in a derogatory context as other words, and is often used to as a word to complain.

In the end though, I would think removing some of the censors would be an interesting experiment. As I always said, the context of the words was what was more important than the words themselves, so it's a good opportunity to see if people are mature enough to avoid using the uncensored words in a malicious manner and see if we honestly need the censors in place.

#10  Share
Reilly  

Reilly

Are you awesome, or are you awesome?

• 6,528 posts
I voted "No" and am trying to come up with a good reason other than, "Swearing is wrong." Swear words can sometimes be used effectively in comics and stuff. I now regret voting "No."

Speaking of which, everyone needs to visit the Fan Comics board.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID

I don't mind the system overall, although posting videos and images with words would be alright.

With or without spoiler tags + content warning? It matters. And yeah, it does boil down to an experiment in the end since if it fails we will put the censors back.

As long as I can say the W word. I'm tired of calling women scrumpets.

I'm not sure if this is derogatory anymore. I'd go with no, but eh. That and the somewhat related s word.

#12  Share
Falcon

Falcon

• 10,777 posts

it's a good opportunity to see if people are mature enough to avoid using the uncensored words in a malicious manner and see if we honestly need the censors in place.

Which I honestly don't see being the case. shy;

I really don't see why it matters that much. Most of us already can make an educated guess as to what the mess of asterisks actually mean, and those who don't live very sheltered lives.

#13  Share
Guest- Warsaw

Guest- Warsaw

With or without spoiler tags + content warning? It matters. And yeah, it does boil down to an experiment in the end since if it fails we will put the censors back.

That's a tough call, I honestly don't know. Again to me it depends on the content. If it's a song with overtly sexual lyrics and ****, then a warning would be required. If it's a clip of a TV show with some occasionally dicey language, I wouldn't see it being necessary.

For videos, I would say a spoiler or content warning is necessary. Images... probably not.

#14  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID

That's a tough call, I honestly don't know. Again to me it depends on the content. If it's a song with overtly sexual lyrics and ****, then a warning would be required. If it's a clip of a TV show with some occasionally dicey language, I wouldn't see it being necessary.

For videos, I would say a spoiler or content warning is necessary. Images... probably not.

Fine with the videos, especially since I don't think most staff watch every posted video on here. We rely on reports for that really.

But if an image has a word that we replace with *'s then it's censor bypassing no matter how you look at it which we can't allow.

Which also becomes a problem since we're still censoring the N word and that would have to be in spoilers and it gets kind of picky at that point. My resolution for that would just be no punishment unless it's ridiculously obsessive personally.

#15  Share
Aya-kun

Aya-kun
  • 3,165 posts
Which words would remain censored? I can guess the N word, but what would the other two be?

#16  Share
Falcon

Falcon

• 10,777 posts

Which words would remain censored? I can guess the N word, but what would the other two be?

I'd imagine the C word and the other F word.

#17  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID

The bundle of sticks and the slur for jews. Might end up adding more, but sanjay just said we have to keep those three.

#18  Share
SmashFan2005

SmashFan2005

No matter how gifted you cannot change the world.

• 10,578 posts
I think the censor should stay the way it is. Trolls and flamers are bad enough already, giving them the ability to swear would just hurt other people more. It sounds stupid but I feel better when someone says "****ing *****!" Instead of the actual words.

Edited by SmashFan2005, Dec 14 2010, 12:31 AM

• The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan and Shizzy-Chan like this
~ It's written amazingly well... But if you don't take out the part that says, "I don't care if you kill L," I'll die. ~

CHECK OUT MY FANFIC!!! =D
The Darkside of Star Fox: Seething Betrayal *Chapter 8 Released!*

#19  Share
Mao  

Mao

Resident Feline

• 47,639 posts
All types of derogatory terms. That includes ***.
LLqrpfz.jpg

#20  Share
Guest- SHRIMPKID

Guest- SHRIMPKID

I'd imagine the C word

Well, content content content. I kind of see it as a extreme way of calling someone a dumbass. That's just me though. We were gonna uncensor it but if people think it has to stay then it will.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users