Since NS2 first opened we've had word filters (aka censors) in varying forms finally settling upon replacing everyone's cussing with *'s. These censors were also applied to videos and pictures and we would remove anything that bypassed the censor. Very recently we changed our rulings a little so that you could post videos and pictures that bypassed the forum censor in spoiler tags. Now we're thinking of changing a few more things regarding the censor and would like some feedback on it.
I've spoken with Sanjay (owner of NSider2 if you don't know yet) already and he said that he is ok with allowing swearing on the forum. So if the community is in support of it then the staff is prepared to remove a majority of the censors. Fun fact: we only censor 10 words when you get rid of the variations. So doing this would remove about 70% of the censor. We are not removing censors completely though because Sanjay is not ok with slurs or pejoratives. Really that's only 3 words and I think that NSider2 can handle 3 words.
So a summary of what this means if it is supported and other details you should know:
- You will be allowed to swear
- You will be allowed to post images and videos with swears in them free of spoiler tags
- You will NOT be allowed to use hate speech
- You will NOT be allowed to post graphic or extremely violent content unless it is in spoiler tags and is marked appropriately (this rule has not changed, but I feel I should mention it anyway)
- Very excessive and unnecessary use of profanity will likely be removed and will go punished if it becomes a problem (with power comes responsibility and all that good stuff)
- There will still be some words that will be censored (slurs and pejoratives) and you should keep this in mind when posting
- As a general rule of thumb you should not direct profanity at another user (though we tend to let things slide a lot around here) and if it becomes a significant problem then you can expect the rules to change accordingly
- Regardless of how many people are in favor of this change, if the staff feels that it is being abused then the censors will be put back in place
- No, we cannot add a feature that makes it so you can choose to have censors or not. I have asked IPS multiple times and it's simply impossible because of the way that posts are stored in the database. I don't know how credible this is because IPS might simply be too lazy, but either way, we cannot do it. Stop asking please.
We'll do a poll this time since there's not much to say. Fell free to discuss this and I'll close the poll up in about a week. Enjoy.
NSider2 Forum Administration
Because you asked for it.
Words that will become uncensored:
Words that will remain censored:
NOTE: I censor bypassed for example purposes. You may not censor bypass in this thread. If you want to talk about a specific word then be creative.