Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21  Share
AdamNW

AdamNW

Dendi

• Fox Brigade
  • 32,077 posts
I would give it a week or so.

#22  Share
The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan  

The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan

Mario isn't a game, it's a way of life

• Mr. Saturn
  • 10,199 posts
Well I went ahead and just ordered the game off Amazon. I figure either way it's Murphy's Law: I could buy the game and have the price drop soon after, or choose to wait and have the game go out of circulation, becoming expensive and rare. In either case, I'd rather go with chancing the former.

#23  Share
Morpha

Morpha

Meh

• Ice Climber
  • 15,215 posts
I honestly think this game will eventually become expensive and rare.

#24  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

Can I pay my rent in fun?

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts
At best it will become Phoenix Wright status. Now if Askys went out of business; then we'd be in the money.

#25  Share
Gloryfinder

Gloryfinder
  • Octorok
  • 281 posts

I honestly think this game will eventually become expensive and rare.

Agreed. Generally the higher quality niche titles become really hard to find, so it's smart to pick up this game sooner rather than later. Unlike many niche games, however, this has gotten really good reviews, which further supports my recommendation of purchasing it. If you can afford it and are even slightly interested in the gameplay style/premise, then it's worth buying.

#26  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts
The last game this guy wrote is like $150+ on amazon :kirby-surprised:

#27  Share
Morpha

Morpha

Meh

• Ice Climber
  • 15,215 posts

What game is that?

#28  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts

What game is that?

Ever 17, idk if it's the last game this guy wrote, but it's the last one that made it to america. The company who localized it went under after release, and since the game is "one of the best VNs of all time" it's incredibly rare/expensive.

Edited by SjSharks182, Feb 18 2011, 06:23 PM

#29  Share
The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan  

The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan

• Mr. Saturn
  • 10,199 posts
Ever 17 is supposed to be one of the best Visual Novels ever made; I only just got into VNs, but I'd still really like to play it. It's a shame the prices could break a guy's bank account, but maybe I can find a download of it somewhere. I hear 999 draws many storyline similarities from Ever 17, some even calling it a spiritual successor to the Infinity series.

#30  Share
AdamNW

AdamNW

Dendi

• Fox Brigade
  • 32,077 posts
Ever 17 is about 8 people trapped in a water park. It's pretty much the same concept.

#31  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts
Well the company who localized it is out of business, so you're morally in the green to do so

I've been playing it, and yes it's very similar to 999.

#32  Share
The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan  

The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan

• Mr. Saturn
  • 10,199 posts
Since we're on the topic, what are some Visual Novels that are considered by the general community to be the "best ever"? So far I've only played the Phoenix Wright games (and adored them :3).

Edited by The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan, Feb 18 2011, 11:06 PM

#33  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts
I've heard great things about Umineko no Naku Koro ni (My next want to play, but I'm holding my breath for a ps3 localization), Fate/Stay Night, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (The anime adaptation is piss in comparison to the VN, but is still highly acclaimed), and Clannad.

You can look here if you want to look into VNs (warning lots are eroge. The images have NSFW warnings though.)

Edited by SjSharks182, Feb 19 2011, 05:24 PM

#34  Share
The Critic

The Critic

Console and Computer Gaming Reviewer

• Yoshi
  • 8,582 posts

Since we're on the topic, what are some Visual Novels that are considered by the general community to be the "best ever"? So far I've only played the Phoenix Wright games (and adored them :3).

Including the Miles Edgeworth one with the sequel coming out :kirby-angry:?

Edited by KirbyMister2, Feb 21 2011, 01:49 AM

#35  Share
Morpha

Morpha

Meh

• Ice Climber
  • 15,215 posts
Ever 17? I'm gonna download it. I just found a torrent of it.

#36  Share
The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan  

The_Ultimate_Mario_Fan

• Mr. Saturn
  • 10,199 posts

Ever 17? I'm gonna download it. I just found a torrent of it.

Please let me know how it is and whether or not it's unsafe or glitchy. I'd really like to play it as well.

#37  Share
SjSharks

SjSharks

• Gerudo
  • 3,621 posts
I've got the torrent... No bugs, but there are plenty of typos. I believe the actual american game is like that though, but it's more than functional.

Note: if you have a 360 you may want to wait for the remake that will inevitably make its way overseas.

#38  Share
Bearissoslow

Bearissoslow

turbonerd

• Pikmin
  • 5,915 posts

Spoiler

My main thing about the safe ending is that it suffers from the least amount of plot holes and still adequately ends the game. I don't see why everyone loves the true ending when it makes no sense.

I think the whole Akane disappearing thing was a bigger plot hole than any other ending had, and that isn't even a plot hole.

... How isn't it a plot hole? It doesn't make any sense and it's never explained. If Junpei disappeared in the other reality it wouldn't make any sense either. It doesn't make any sense.

Bear, 90% of that stuff is completely irrelevant, and all of it (minus the how long is a minute question, wtf?) has perfectly reasonable explanations. Thankfully Lotus handled it for the most part.

your spacing annoys me

also it's not irrelevant if it can totally derail a plot point the game tries to establish, which every single question I asked does in some way. If you're too blinded by your fanboyism to see that, have fun with your 2cool shades on.

Though I will give an answer for the one Lotus gave you Akane flat out says that she was able to see how things would play out. Akane received all of the information Junpei would have seen, and used it to nudge Junpei in the right direction.

Well duh, I already knew that. That doesn't change anything I've asked at all.

I hope I'm not out of line when I say this, but you sound like you're just trying to make an acclaimed game seem bad to impress others/yourself. I think this because I pull the same crap myself.

YOU'RE NOT ME CRY CRY CRY

but seriously lol, this doesn't change the fact that you didn't really do anything but say I'm wrong because you said so. A+ for creativity though!

Edit: and about the safe ending thing. The true ending is better that's why. It's there to enrich the experience, but if you didn't like it as much, that's your opinion.

I get the opinion thing, but it's just so convoluted to add the aspect of temporal displacement and controlling timelines and alternate realities, especially if the game's not even going to do it sensibly.

If you really need an explanation for something that is a matter of opinion here is an answer you may not like People survive in the True end. You wouldn't get the same astoundment that everything was so perfectly orchestrated to save Akane and get back at the bad guys.

But June disappears in their own reality, and the creator even stated that the Junpei that past Akane controlled will never meet with June ever again in his lifetime. All of it was to save an alternate reality that they likely had no knowledge of beforehand? That doesn't even begin to make any sense.

Besides, it's not like characters dying is a bad thing if it's done well. Snake's death was treated very well in the Safe end, and if they had given the attention of a True ending, I'd bet that Clover's death would've been a bit better and hey maybe a better ending than I LOST THE GAME would've happened.

btw, maybe it's just me, but I've never considered PW a Visual Novel and suddenly develop murderous tendencies when people compare it to one. It's got novel-esque writing and development, sure, but having a great narrative doesn't automatically make it apart of a game's genre, even though the gameplay is entirely different. PW is far more involved and there's a greater focus on figuring out everything on your own, but it's just through text. A VN version of PW would be more dependent on reading the story rather than solving the story, if that makes sense.

Edited by Bearissoslow, Feb 25 2011, 02:22 AM

#39  Share
The Critic

The Critic

Console and Computer Gaming Reviewer

• Yoshi
  • 8,582 posts

Spoiler

My main thing about the safe ending is that it suffers from the least amount of plot holes and still adequately ends the game. I don't see why everyone loves the true ending when it makes no sense.

I think the whole Akane disappearing thing was a bigger plot hole than any other ending had, and that isn't even a plot hole.

... How isn't it a plot hole? It doesn't make any sense and it's never explained. If Junpei disappeared in the other reality it wouldn't make any sense either. It doesn't make any sense.

Bear, 90% of that stuff is completely irrelevant, and all of it (minus the how long is a minute question, wtf?) has perfectly reasonable explanations. Thankfully Lotus handled it for the most part.

your spacing annoys me

also it's not irrelevant if it can totally derail a plot point the game tries to establish, which every single question I asked does in some way. If you're too blinded by your fanboyism to see that, have fun with your 2cool shades on.

Though I will give an answer for the one Lotus gave you Akane flat out says that she was able to see how things would play out. Akane received all of the information Junpei would have seen, and used it to nudge Junpei in the right direction.

Well duh, I already knew that. That doesn't change anything I've asked at all.

I hope I'm not out of line when I say this, but you sound like you're just trying to make an acclaimed game seem bad to impress others/yourself. I think this because I pull the same crap myself.

YOU'RE NOT ME CRY CRY CRY

but seriously lol, this doesn't change the fact that you didn't really do anything but say I'm wrong because you said so. A+ for creativity though!

Edit: and about the safe ending thing. The true ending is better that's why. It's there to enrich the experience, but if you didn't like it as much, that's your opinion.

I get the opinion thing, but it's just so convoluted to add the aspect of temporal displacement and controlling timelines and alternate realities, especially if the game's not even going to do it sensibly.

If you really need an explanation for something that is a matter of opinion here is an answer you may not like People survive in the True end. You wouldn't get the same astoundment that everything was so perfectly orchestrated to save Akane and get back at the bad guys.

But June disappears in their own reality, and the creator even stated that the Junpei that past Akane controlled will never meet with June ever again in his lifetime. All of it was to save an alternate reality that they likely had no knowledge of beforehand? That doesn't even begin to make any sense.

Besides, it's not like characters dying is a bad thing if it's done well. Snake's death was treated very well in the Safe end, and if they had given the attention of a True ending, I'd bet that Clover's death would've been a bit better and hey maybe a better ending than I LOST THE GAME would've happened.

btw, maybe it's just me, but I've never considered PW a Visual Novel and suddenly develop murderous tendencies when people compare it to one. It's got novel-esque writing and development, sure, but having a great narrative doesn't automatically make it apart of a game's genre, even though the gameplay is entirely different. PW is far more involved and there's a greater focus on figuring out everything on your own, but it's just through text. A VN version of PW would be more dependent on reading the story rather than solving the story, if that makes sense.

Yeah it has it's own definition of a game.... A Law and Order kind of game... Man I can't wait for the PL VS PW game!

#40  Share
Morpha

Morpha

Meh

• Ice Climber
  • 15,215 posts

Note: if you have a 360 you may want to wait for the remake that will inevitably make its way overseas.

??

Edited by Kaito Kid, Feb 25 2011, 02:58 PM

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users