Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

No Music in 3DS Sound!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1  Share
Mightylink

Mightylink
  • 120 posts
This is really pissing me off, my 3ds sound channel never finds any of the music I put on the sd card, and I followed all the instructions in the manual, my music is saved to the sd/Nintendo 3DS/Music folder and it is in mp3 format within all the guidelines in the manual, and my music is STILL not showing up, wtf, why is it not working?

I followed this and none of these options are wrong.

Directly from the manual:
Music files saved on an SD Card won’t play in Nintendo 3DS Sound.
• Check to make sure the files are in a format compatible with Nintendo 3DS Sound. The files must be in the following format:
AAC files with .m4a, .mp4, and .3gp extensions, or MP3 files with .mp3 extensions.
Bit rate of 16kbps - 320kbps and sampling frequency of 32kHz - 48kHz.
NOTE: The Nintendo 3DS cannot play copy-protected music files.

Music files saved on an SD Card won’t display in Nintendo 3DS Sound.
• Make sure the SD Card is correctly inserted into the SD Card slot (see page 24).
• Make sure the files are in a format compatible with Nintendo 3DS Sound (see the troubleshooting step above for compatible
file formats).
• The SD Card must not have more than 3000 music files on it.
• The SD Card must not have more than 1000 file folders on it.
• An individual folder must not have more than 100 music files in it. NOTE: If you have more than one folder with the same
name, the music files in each folder will be combined and displayed as one folder.
• An individual folder must not have more than seven subfolders (eight levels including the main folder).

My music files are mp3, between 128 and 160kbps and only 1 or 2 folders deep, and only 20 or 30 songs and each folder, according to this guide my setup is well within the restrictions.

Edited by Mightylink, Mar 30 2011, 04:45 PM

#2  Share
Knights of HyruleChrom  

Chrom

運命を変える

• 40,318 posts
If I could make a wild guess, have you tried adjusting the protective lock switch that's on the side of the SD card? You might be inserting the SD card into the 3DS with it locked.

#3  Share
Naed

Naed

That dude with the phone thread

• 9,338 posts
I had to put everything into the root to play music.

#4  Share
Nitro  

Nitro

stahp melting my heart

• 29,680 posts

If I could make a wild guess, have you tried adjusting the protective lock switch that's on the side of the SD card? You might be inserting the SD card into the 3DS with it locked.

thats the only thing i can think of too. the parakeet told me it was locked when i did it wrong

#5  Share
Top Karteralienboyva  

alienboyva

ME PLAY DRUMS...ME HIT STUFF!

• 11,173 posts
Not sure what the problem is but...

1. Is your SD card locked?

2. It might be where you saved your music. Try making a folder on the SD card (do not make it in another folder) call it "My Music" or whatever and put all your music/music folders in it. Also, try putting a song on the SD card that isn't in a folder. The 3DS should see it as in folder /SD card.

Edited by alienboyva, Mar 30 2011, 04:55 PM

#6  Share
Mightylink

Mightylink
  • 120 posts
Well thanks for the tips guys but its still not working, the sd card is definetly not locked, I can confirm that cause I can take pictures to it with the camera, and I also tried putting the music directly in the base folder, even tried dropping a single mp3 in no folders at all, still not working.

What am I missing here <_<

Am I even using the right program, 3DS Sound? Was there sappose to be another program preloaded on my 3ds cause I don't see it. I googled this for 3 hours before I even posted here and I noticed a lot of people call it 3DS Music.

Edited by Mightylink, Mar 30 2011, 05:13 PM

#7  Share
Top Karteralienboyva  

alienboyva

• 11,173 posts
Well, it's gotta be your music files then. Are you sure they're not copy-protected (music bought from places like iTunes will not play on the 3DS or DSi/DSiXL)? BTW, is the 3DS seeing your music folders?

Edited by alienboyva, Mar 30 2011, 05:24 PM

#8  Share
Mightylink

Mightylink
  • 120 posts

Well, it's gotta be your music files then. Are you sure they're not copy-protected (music bought from places like iTunes will not play on the 3DS)? BTW, is the 3DS seeing your music folders?

Pretty sure there not copy protected, some of them I even made myself with fl studio for some games I worked on, and theres no folders at all on the bottom screen it just has that 1 line that says: > Record and Edit Sounds

I'm going to try an mp3 to m4a converter, I noticed all the recorded voices are in that format, maby it will work if my music is too.

Edited by Mightylink, Mar 30 2011, 05:27 PM

#9  Share
Top Karteralienboyva  

alienboyva

• 11,173 posts

Well, it's gotta be your music files then. Are you sure they're not copy-protected (music bought from places like iTunes will not play on the 3DS)? BTW, is the 3DS seeing your music folders?

Pretty sure there not copy protected, some of them I even made myself with fl studio for some games I worked on, and theres no folders at all on the bottom screen it just has that 1 line that says: > Record and Edit Sounds

I'm going to try an mp3 to m4a converter, I noticed all the recorded voices are in that format, maby it will work if my music is too.

Well, there's your problem. Where exactly did you save the folder(s) on the SD card?

#10  Share
Carl321  

Carl321

• 17,897 posts
save it to the SD root bro, mine's there and it's fine. If you put it in 3DS folder it wont find it

you already did that? weird... if its not the lock and not in the root, it's either your system or files

Edited by Carl321, Mar 30 2011, 05:35 PM

• alienboyva likes this

#11  Share
Mightylink

Mightylink
  • 120 posts
Alright, I got it working in .M4A format, I guess it doesn't support mp3's even though the book clearly says it does, maby mp3 support is coming in a future update or something, I notice the manual says a lot of things that arnt on the 3ds yet.

Edited by Mightylink, Mar 30 2011, 05:51 PM

#12  Share
Top Karteralienboyva  

alienboyva

• 11,173 posts

Well, there's your problem. Where exactly did you save the folder(s) on the SD card?

I tried everything, I tried root folder, then I tried Nintendo 3DS\Music then I tried Nintendo 3DS\Private\00020500\Music which is right beside the voice folder, nothing is working, why do the Nintengods hate me >.<

Try making folders directly to the SD card's root and see if they appear in the 3DS Sound app. If they don't, then something is wrong with your SD card. If the folders do appear, put your music in it and see if it plays. If not, it's your music files. If none of this works, try another SD card if you have one.

Edited by alienboyva, Mar 30 2011, 05:54 PM

#13  Share
Carl321  

Carl321

• 17,897 posts

Alright, I got it working in .M4A format, I guess it doesn't support mp3's even though the book clearly says it does, maby mp3 support is coming in a future update or something, I notice the manual says a lot of things that arnt on the 3ds yet.

I'm listening to MP3s now :| it's not that

Edited by Carl321, Mar 30 2011, 06:00 PM

#14  Share
Mightylink

Mightylink
  • 120 posts

I'm listening to MP3s now :| it's not that

Well its fixed, lets just leave it at that >_O

#15  Share
Kouya Aotsuki  

Kouya Aotsuki

Member of Musikus

• 6,735 posts
I find it odd that mp3s aren't working for you. Cause I just placed a bunch on my SD card and tried them and they worked just fine. What's the best format that should be used? I would like to try for some better quality sound.

#16  Share
Knights of HyruleChrom  

Chrom

運命を変える

• 40,318 posts
I know for a fact that .m4a is generally superior in sound quality to .mp3, and I'd like to think that it's the ideal one to use for Nintendo 3DS Sound if it really matters that much to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users