Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Top 10 Technology Flops of 2011

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1  Share
TESSERACT

TESSERACT

I'm the new king, I'll take the queen.

• 8,157 posts
http://technolog.msn...y-flops-of-2011

I only added this because well... the 3DS is included. And I love what Satoru Iwata says about mobile gaming.

#2  Share
Enjay

Enjay
  • 15,712 posts
damn i was hoping the 3DS wasn't on there so i could put

"The list is missing the biggest flop of 2011, the 3DS" and get downvoted to oblivion.

#3  Share
Bassoonista  

Bassoonista

Band Nerd For Life

• 2,098 posts
Funny they used the word denial, as it's the ones who think that the 3DS is going to fail that are the ones who are in denial.

Edited by Bassoonist, Jan 2 2012, 08:19 PM

• Saiga, Zach!, Sage the Dreamer and 5 others like this

#4  Share
FaWa

FaWa

But FaWa works I guess

• 4,672 posts
They barely advertised it, it looks exactly the same as the original DS and to be honest its just a useless handheld.

RIP Handheld gaming.

#5  Share
Matugi

Matugi

Original.

• 24,599 posts
If 4 million+ units sold is a flop, then jesus christ EVERYTHING is a flop

QUICK EVERYBODY BUY BETA-MAX
  • Saiga, Barolb, Olimar and 4 others like this

#6  Share
FaWa

FaWa

But FaWa works I guess

• 4,672 posts
What people fail to realize is that It sucks.

#7  Share
Guest- LUIGITORNADO

Guest- LUIGITORNADO
Yahoo! didn't even have it on their list. I wouldn't call it a flop, just underwhelming. Not even mentioning the sale surge and promising titles seems a little biased to me.

I hate journalism. I'm so glad I decided against choosing it for a profession.

P.S. Iwata said no such thing about Link's cold dead body.

Edited by LUIGITORNADO, Jan 2 2012, 11:56 AM

#8  Share
TESSERACT

TESSERACT

• 8,157 posts
Until mobile phones can at least feature a physical D-Pad and buttons, I don't see handheld gaming going away.
  • Velvet Phoenix likes this

#9  Share
Destiny Hero  

Destiny Hero

The Rhythm Thief

• 14,290 posts
Love how the article cites only the 3DS's launch stats and not the ridiculously absurd record-setting records it's been recording in recent records.
  • Olimar, Soarin', Velvet Phoenix and 1 other like this

#10  Share
NINTENDOGAMEMASTER  

NINTENDOGAMEMASTER

Not really a master

• 27,072 posts
I could probably see it fitting in just because of the period right after launch (and there was a "technology comebacks of 2011" to go with it), but it appears to be a completely biased article that just has it on there to vilify Nintendo to Apple fans.

Edited by NINTENDOGAMEMASTER, Jan 2 2012, 12:10 PM

#11  Share
Sage the Dreamer

Sage the Dreamer

Hi.

• 42,928 posts

Until mobile phones can at least feature a physical D-Pad and buttons, I don't see handheld gaming going away.

There's more to it than just the lack of controls. I don't play games on my smartphone because:
-There's hardly any real games. Sure, there's ports like Chrono Trigger, and the rare Simulation game that's actually fun like Game Dev Story (though, that's not really a full-feeling game, it's just fun), but the majority is flash games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope, or rip-offs of games like Gears of War or Assassin's Creed (not talking about the mediocre Assassin's Creed games that are on there). Even original games like Infinity Blade don't feel like full games.
-It's such a huge step back. The 3DS has two screens, one is about the size of a Smartphone screen while the bottom screen is smaller, added together it's bigger than a smartphone screen. (You also have to take into account your fingers and buttons being in the way of some of the things on the screen on a smartphone) The PSP, especially the Vita, has a screen much larger than a smartphone screen, and buttons on the side so you don't cover it up any.
-No physical games. As a person who likes to collect his games, this is a huge one for me.
-It's constantly evolving. There's a new and better smartphone every month it seems, every year for iPhone. Infinity Blade 2 can only be played on the iPhone 4S, so if you bought an iPhone 4 the year before, too bad. My DS Lite however, can play every single DS game that came out in the span of 6 years, and will be able to play any games that come out later as well.

Real handheld gaming isn't going anywhere, and the only people who think so are these silly analysts. Most people own computers, but I don't see console gaming going anywhere because of it; handheld games aren't going anywhere just because most people own smartphones.
The 3DS has already sold almost as much as the DS Lite did in it's first year, and everyone knows how bad the DS sold.
  • NINTENDOGAMEMASTER, TESSERACT, Destiny Hero and 2 others like this

#12  Share
Velvet Phoenix  

Velvet Phoenix

Hero of Winds

• 39,131 posts
Well said, Sage. Well said.

#13  Share
TESSERACT

TESSERACT

• 8,157 posts

There's more to it than just the lack of controls. I don't play games on my smartphone because:
-There's hardly any real games. Sure, there's ports like Chrono Trigger, and the rare Simulation game that's actually fun like Game Dev Story (though, that's not really a full-feeling game, it's just fun), but the majority is flash games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope, or rip-offs of games like Gears of War or Assassin's Creed (not talking about the mediocre Assassin's Creed games that are on there). Even original games like Infinity Blade don't feel like full games.
-It's such a huge step back. The 3DS has two screens, one is about the size of a Smartphone screen while the bottom screen is smaller, added together it's bigger than a smartphone screen. (You also have to take into account your fingers and buttons being in the way of some of the things on the screen on a smartphone) The PSP, especially the Vita, has a screen much larger than a smartphone screen, and buttons on the side so you don't cover it up any.
-No physical games. As a person who likes to collect his games, this is a huge one for me.
-It's constantly evolving. There's a new and better smartphone every month it seems, every year for iPhone. Infinity Blade 2 can only be played on the iPhone 4S, so if you bought an iPhone 4 the year before, too bad. My DS Lite however, can play every single DS game that came out in the span of 6 years, and will be able to play any games that come out later as well.

Real handheld gaming isn't going anywhere, and the only people who think so are these silly analysts. Most people own computers, but I don't see console gaming going anywhere because of it; handheld games aren't going anywhere just because most people own smartphones.
The 3DS has already sold almost as much as the DS Lite did in it's first year, and everyone knows how bad the DS sold.

Of course, I completely agree. I didn't forget about those things, hence why I said "at least". I only mentioned the controls because it's the most basic priority in gaming. Using a virtual D-Pad or "stick" really sucks. You can't feel what your pressing and it's just not the same as a physical control pad.

Edited by Tesseract, Jan 2 2012, 01:08 PM

#14  Share
PlumberKagari  

Kagari

ぶっかけ

• 115,905 posts
Goddamn, that 3DS sure is failing.

#15  Share
Namevah

Namevah
  • 7,936 posts
I don't suppose anyone has an interest in writing this article's creator and asking him if the 3DS' more recent sales had any impact on its inclusion to his list.

#16  Share
LimeCatMaster

LimeCatMaster

Very, very mad.

• 14,511 posts
>3DS launch is on there
>Vita isn't
>Vita did worse than 3DS
>Vita has a metric asston of reported problems

Well, I'm baffled.
  • TESSERACT, swifty and Velvet Phoenix like this

#17  Share
LimeCatMaster

LimeCatMaster

Very, very mad.

• 14,511 posts

Let me guess:

You're a Vita fanboy.

#18  Share
PlumberKagari  

Kagari

ぶっかけ

• 115,905 posts

>3DS launch is on there
>Vita isn't
>Vita did worse than 3DS
>Vita has a metric asston of reported problems

Well, I'm baffled.

As much as I want to like the Vita, I do have to admit that the stream of people complaining that their unit was defective and wouldn't even turn on via Twitter was amusing.

Protip: Hold the power button for five seconds on initial boot.

#19  Share
dscuber9000

dscuber9000
  • 5,474 posts

Let me guess:

You're a Vita fanboy.

Do those exist? :D
  • TESSERACT likes this

#20  Share
MAJ0R TOM

MAJ0R TOM
  • 17,860 posts
Compared to the DS, it was a flop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users