Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Lost Music?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1  Share
Larrykoopa99

Larrykoopa99
  • 1,534 posts
Were these songs really supposed to be in Brawl? I guess this was further proof that Geno was intended for Brawl. Ballad of the Windfish would've been a nice song for Brawl too.

Edited by Larrykoopa99, Mar 3 2012, 02:52 AM

#2  Share
Cryptic  

Cryptic

A wizard did it.

• 9,151 posts

Was this music cut from Brawl?

According to the coding, I guess. I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

I guess this was further proof that Geno was intended for Brawl.

No, it's not. It could have been Mallow. But that music doesn't even prove that any character from SMRPG was going to be in Brawl.

And in order for there to be "further" proof there needs to be proof to begin with.

nitpick: Switch out "proof" with "evidence".

#3  Share
Guest- Sir Clockwork

Guest- Sir Clockwork
Perhaps the songs themselves might have at some point been planned, but...

...I'm going to bite my tongue out of respect, but no, Geno was almost certainly never going to be playable - and even if he was, which would require insane acid trips to allow, he'd have had more than a single song. That's like saying that the Doom Dragon was meant to be playable because hey look his theme's in Brawl.

#4  Share
Peachrules14

Peachrules14
  • 6,069 posts
Lol conspiracy theories. Either way, this music is nice. I can see why Mario's wasn't included. It doesn't really fit the tone of any of his stages.

#5  Share
Giga Man

Giga Man
  • 647 posts
I really had no idea of any of these. This is news to me.

#6  Share
Fieryblast  

Fieryblast
  • 3,759 posts
I recall an interview with Sakurai from some time ago mentioning that some music was cut because it didn't really fit the theme of the game-- i.e. it wouldn't fit well in a fighting game where you are pulverizing each other. This could perhaps be applied to the Ballad of the Windfish, which is sort of a melancholy song, but not really to SMRPG's Forest Maze theme. The latter was likely a copyright issue. Of course, it is hard to say what it might have implied about some SMRPG characters showing up.

Frankly, if they bothered to make it, I think it is rather silly not to include it. I would've liked having Ballad of the Windfish.

#7  Share
Dr. MS

Dr. MS

Now especially lovable!

• 1,661 posts
Those songs are like SUPER GRATE YO.

I thought I remember hearing there's a Sonic song somewhere in there, too, but it's just a straight rip like the majority of Sonic's songs.

#8  Share
Shizzy-Chan

Shizzy-Chan
  • 3,627 posts
It's too bad the Ballad of the Windfish and the theme from MGS2 didn't get in. Although Windfish I guess didn't fit the tone of the game, and they couldn't put in MGS2 for copyright reasons I suppose.

#9  Share
avalonknight

avalonknight
  • 1,925 posts

It's too bad the Ballad of the Windfish and the theme from MGS2 didn't get in. Although Windfish I guess didn't fit the tone of the game, and they couldn't put in MGS2 for copyright reasons I suppose.

In case no one knows, this is one of the reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JL4JXEv-RY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

#10  Share
MarxForever  

MarxForever

Tedious Pokémon Breeding? Substitute!

• 7,700 posts
One thing I've been curious about for the longest time.
Are these tracks actually present on the disc? Or did someone compile a group of fan made remixes to match file names? And now everyone's just passing that list around?

In any event, these are some amazing pieces. Though they're a bit on the short side.

And Larry these prove nothing, expect maybe that the Brawl Team has excellent taste in music.

Edited by MarxForever, Mar 3 2012, 02:01 PM

#11  Share
Knights of HyruleErdrick  

Erdrick

Hero of Alefgard

• 77,383 posts

I recall an interview with Sakurai from some time ago mentioning that some music was cut because it didn't really fit the theme of the game-- i.e. it wouldn't fit well in a fighting game where you are pulverizing each other. This could perhaps be applied to the Ballad of the Windfish, which is sort of a melancholy song, but not really to SMRPG's Forest Maze theme. The latter was likely a copyright issue. Of course, it is hard to say what it might have implied about some SMRPG characters showing up.

Frankly, if they bothered to make it, I think it is rather silly not to include it. I would've liked having Ballad of the Windfish.

Then why is Midna's Lament in the game? I always wondered that. :s

#12  Share
Destiny Hero  

Destiny Hero

The Rhythm Thief

• 14,497 posts
Brawl does have way too much content, so I'm not surprised so much was lost in it. They could've cut out all of the stickers, a lot of the trophies, and a good portion of the music.

#13  Share
Guest- Sir Clockwork

Guest- Sir Clockwork

Brawl does have way too much content, so I'm not surprised so much was lost in it. They could've cut out all of the stickers, a lot of the trophies, and a good portion of the music.

Get rid of stickers, masterpieces, and the chronicle.

And then everything's fine.

#14  Share
Unbounded

Unbounded

Reborn Anew.

• 7,685 posts

I recall an interview with Sakurai from some time ago mentioning that some music was cut because it didn't really fit the theme of the game-- i.e. it wouldn't fit well in a fighting game where you are pulverizing each other.

Can we all agree that Sakurai's excuses are just full of shit now?

#15  Share
Cryptic  

Cryptic

A wizard did it.

• 9,151 posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

I haven't heard of this, so thanks for mentioning it.

That's not just the MGS2 theme. It was in the credits of MGS1 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqq8uqSDnk

It sounds similar, but I don't think there's enough evidence that it's outright plagiarism. It may seem like a natural conclusion to come to at first listen, but when you combine all the uncertainties, it's not as clear-cut.

I can see why they didn't use it. Although, I'm always rather disappointed when the accused take the easy way out by just avoiding the issue rather than actually resolving it.

#16  Share
MarxForever  

MarxForever

Tedious Pokémon Breeding? Substitute!

• 7,700 posts

I recall an interview with Sakurai from some time ago mentioning that some music was cut because it didn't really fit the theme of the game-- i.e. it wouldn't fit well in a fighting game where you are pulverizing each other.

You can't put words in someone's mouth, an then accuse them of being full of shit.
Well, I mean, you can. But you probably shouldn't.

#17  Share
Corki

Corki

Lima Oscar Lima

• 8,933 posts

You can't put words in someone's mouth, an then accuse them of being full of shit.
Well, I mean, you can. But you probably shouldn't.

Is there another meaning one can get from that?

#18  Share
avalonknight

avalonknight
  • 1,925 posts

<Vid!>

I haven't heard of this, so thanks for mentioning it.

That's not just the MGS2 theme. It was in the credits of MGS1 as well.

<Vid!>

It sounds similar, but I don't think there's enough evidence that it's outright plagiarism. It may seem like a natural conclusion to come to at first listen, but when you combine all the uncertainties, it's not as clear-cut.

I can see why they didn't use it. Although, I'm always rather disappointed when the accused take the easy way out by just avoiding the issue rather than actually resolving it.

If anything, I can see why Tappy at least got influenced by it. MGS took place on during a winter storm (and being on Alaska, thus pretty close to Russia), so being influenced by "Winter Road" is actually quite fitting. But then we already had a problem with Edward Maya being called out for using a couple of seconds of an accordion piece from another song for "Stereo Love", and this comparison vid I found kinda scared me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XblPR_O9lxU

Would love to ask Georgy Sviridov, like if he was in talks with Tappy about the piece to be in MGS, but he died a year before MGS was released, and that leaves only Tappy; so I guess this for now, as Pop-Fiction would say in their last video, is inconclusive.

PS: I love the multitude of Metal Gear references in the Youtube comments for "Winter Road".

Edited by avalonknight, Mar 4 2012, 09:26 PM

#19  Share
Gym Leader Falkner

Gym Leader Falkner

KA-CAW~

• 5,931 posts
Just going to say that Ballad of the Windfish is my favorite video game song ever.

#20  Share
Cryptic  

Cryptic

A wizard did it.

• 9,151 posts

Would love to ask Georgy Sviridov, like if he was in talks with Tappy about the piece to be in MGS, but he died a year before MGS was released, and that leaves only Tappy; so I guess this for now, as Pop-Fiction would say in their last video, is inconclusive.

PS: I love the multitude of Metal Gear references in the Youtube comments for "Winter Road".

Wait, so the guy who originally wrote the song is dead already?

Who was complaining about copyright infringement then? Posted Image Does some random ass Soviet Russia company own the song now? The guy's family?

Regardless, I would hope this is more of an Earthbound-like "we're emulating this music as a homage" rather than plain plagiarism.

Edited by Cryptic_MantisN313, Mar 4 2012, 10:47 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users