Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to Steam: Using Custom Grid Icons and Whatnot

Steam how does it work? ignored reported called the cops Images lots of them Cameo appearance by YR

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1  Share
PlumberYuki  

Yuki

ぶっかけ

• 117,743 posts
Here's an example of what your Steam Library could potentially look like with some patience and time.

1. Custom Grid Icons

You can find custom made images all over the internet (There are boorus dedicated soley to Steam Grid Icons, and there's a NeoGAF thread as well. DeviantArt may not be a bad place to look either), or you can make your own.

xxx Icon Resolution is 460x215 xxx

How you Do:

First, add the game/program into Steam if it's not already there.

Looking at Steam proper, you'll see a button with four squares in the top right hand corner, next to the Big Picture Mode button. Click on it to view your library in Game Grid view.

Posted Image

Let's say I want to give Cave Story + this spiffy new image:

Posted Image

Right-click on the game/program's icon. You'll see a drop-down list. Click on Set Custom Image.

Posted Image

Click on Browse, and locate the image you want to use on your HDD. Once you have chosen your image, choose Set Image. You have successfully stepped into a larger world of using Steam.

You can remove it in a similar way. Right-Click on the image, and select Remove Custom Image from the drop-down menu.

Posted Image

2. Adding ROMs/ISOs to Steam:

~~Discussion of downloading ROMs/ISOs is forbidden! Do not link people to where they can find ROMs!

First, add your emulator of choice (I will use Higan to start Final Fantasy VI) to Steam. Then right-click on the icon, and choose Properties.

Posted Image

This is where it gets somewhat tricky. Change the name of the Emulator to whatever ROM you want to use.

Posted Image

Next, you must alter the Target line. Keep the path to the emulator intact, but add on the path to the ROM/ISO you want to start.

It should look something like this:

"C:\Users\Akemi\Downloads\higan_v092-64bit\higan-balanced.exe" "C:\Users\Akemi\Downloads\higan_v092-64bit\ROMs\SNES\Final Fantasy III.smc"

Leave the Start In: line alone.

Test to see if it works. If not, double-check the target.

This is important: Restart Steam after adding each ROM/ISO. Restarting will place the shortcut to the ROM/ISO in its proper place in the library. Afterwards, you can change the Grid Icon as well.

Feel free to post your own, or request, custom images here. Also, show off your newly pretty libraries.
  • Gold and chickadee like this

#2  Share
Knights of Hyrulechickadee  

chickadee

whimsically dull.

• 67,490 posts
thank you based yuki! I want my steam looking spiffy and nice but never tried it out myself. Maybe I'll do this tonight and post pics. : D

#3  Share
AdminJuni

Juni

Lead Admin

• 58,495 posts
Too lazy to do this for 200 games D:
  • Cajun likes this

#4  Share
Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey

Top-Percentage

• 8,409 posts
Sweet, thanks!

Whenever I've done this in the past, the custom icons will be gone later afterwards for no explanation... Does this happen to anyone else?

#5  Share
PlumberYuki  

Yuki

ぶっかけ

• 117,743 posts

Sweet, thanks!

Whenever I've done this in the past, the custom icons will be gone later afterwards for no explanation... Does this happen to anyone else?

Make sure you don't delete the icons. Put them in a folder you won't delete.

#6  Share
starry-

starry-
  • 112 posts
Never knew about the custom grid icon. Now I'll actually have to debate over which menu to use.

#7  Share
Gold

Gold

Big Dipper

• 23,132 posts
Nice guide. Dat ROM info was new to me. Will have to test that out.

#8  Share
stray sheep  

stray sheep

Slime

• 45,027 posts
I tried this out for a bit but it's tedious if you have a billion games.

#9  Share
Mao  

Mao

Resident Feline

• 47,119 posts
I do five games a day. Breaks up the tediousness.

#10  Share
Youngster Joey

Youngster Joey

Top-Percentage

• 8,409 posts
Created my own image for Final Fantasy VII:

Posted Image

Does Steam have a preference for which image format is used?

#11  Share
Naed

Naed

That dude with the phone thread

• 9,338 posts
It really pays off in Big Picture
http://puu.sh/2l7uB
  • stray sheep likes this

#12  Share
sçy1192

sçy1192
  • 37,781 posts
I think those would look nice with Steam Tile for Windows 8 as well.

edit: guess it kinda does it automatically but it's nice to know

Edited by sçy1192, Mar 20 2013, 07:08 PM

#13  Share
Knights of HyruleChrom  

Chrom

運命を変える

• 39,553 posts

Does Steam have a preference for which image format is used?

Not that I know of. As long as it's PNG, JPG, or TGA, anything should work fine.

#14  Share
Gold

Gold

Big Dipper

• 23,132 posts
Helped me to do this.

Posted Image

Thanks Yuki.

#15  Share
stray sheep  

stray sheep

Slime

• 45,027 posts

It really pays off in Big Picture
http://puu.sh/2l7uB

gasp

pretty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steam, how does it work?, ignored, reported, called the cops, Images, lots of them, Cameo appearance by YR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users