Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

is ACNL too easy?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21  Share
Knights of HyruleIridium  

Iridium

Zora's Iridium

• 39,883 posts

Something else to consider about the island is that it's pretty much impossible to make decent money outside of summer through fishing and bug-catching, so you're forced to rely on the tedium and semi-randomness of the stalk market for about eight months.

That, or level your town's natural environment and plant grids of foreign fruit.

The presence of the island means that you can actually still have a decent source of income for the months outside of summer.

#22  Share
Zarnium

Zarnium
  • 1,082 posts
Plus, there's less space for fruit trees with all the public works projects you put up everywhere. In Wild World, my entire town was covered in trees, but that's not really feasible in New Leaf.

#23  Share
InvincibleZora

Zora

Iridium's Zora

• 43,537 posts

To add on to what Iri said, most of the money you get from island are through beetles, which, there's no reason why you can't use your own town during summer months.

#24  Share
Knights of HyruleIridium  

Iridium

Zora's Iridium

• 39,883 posts

I was thinking about this tonight and I realized, I think, why this might exist.

Animal Crossing has earned reputations over the year. For one, the reputation of being the same game over and over again, but for another, it's often called semi-mockingly a "debt simulator."

My guess is that by decreasing the value of money, the hope of the game's creators was that they could allow players to have more freedom with how they spend their cash as opposed to nearly all of your money going into Nook's, and to allow you the freedom to create and destroy public works as your thoughts about how the town should be design change.

To put it another way: in other games, money was a limiting factor on your creativity. You were, as such, very limited on how you went about designing your town until the very end of the game. Here, with the reduced value of money, the limiting factor is instead time. In as little as a month, it's possible to have your debts paid off and a thriving city, so you're free to spend the game how it was supposed to be played: designing the clothes you want, living in a house completely of your design, renovating a town that can be managed at your whim.

In order to prevent people from just accessing everything from day two, then, the game was intentionally given a very slow start so that even with inflation in play it still felt as though every day opened up a new level of freedom. Take the last week, for instance. Assuming you downloaded the game at midnight, your schedule went something like this:

• June 9, morning: Became mayor. Planted tree. (day 1)
  • June 9, afternoon: Sought approval rating. Paid off tent. (day 2)
  • June 10: Spoke to Tortimer about island. Created first public work. (day 3)
  • June 11: Gained access to island and Happy Home Showcase. (day 4)
  • June 12: Continue exploring island, getting a wetsuit if there wasn't one the day before. (day 5)
  • June 13: "Holy crap, something new!" - Gardening store begins construction (day 6)
  • June 14: Opening of Gardening Store (day 7)
  • June 15: Cyrus awakens; Bug-off (day 8)
  • June 16: Joan returns, allowing 'official' access to the Stalk market; beginning of rainy season (Coelacanths!) (day 9)
  • June 17: Began construction on Dream Suite. (day 10)
  • June 18: Spoke to Sable for the tenth time, unlocking QR reader; The Nook upgrade. (day 11)

...and so forth. Shift most of these things back a day for people who got the game physically. But even if it was small, every day granted to something new to do except days 5 and 6 (which came after the megaton day 4 and you probably spent destroying the natural habitats of uninhabited islands.)

I concede I'm not completely sure that that's how today and tomorrow are going to work, but  all three of those things should be somewhere in the general vicinity of the next couple days, and not long after, you basically gain the ability to construct half of the city. You might've also unlocked Katrina already if you have twenty friends, since she probably appeared last week (and if she didn't, you likely were just as graced with Redd, or if you're really lucky, both.)

#25  Share
rubin3364

rubin3364

The King of Sting

• 1,686 posts

I don't think you can really say Animal Crossing is easy or difficult. There are, indeed, goals to meet in the game -- however, there is no penalty for not meeting them, and the game can be played in many different ways. For example, I could spend 5 hours one day trying to catch a specific fish for the museum, or I could just happen upon it by chance in the first 5 minutes of searching. Or, I could not care about the museum at all and just want to relax, doing tasks for my virtual animal friends. Or, I could be focused on creating more advanced Pro designs, and so on.

Is it too easy to get bells? For me, yeah. But keep in mind I'm a patient 19-year-old man. Were I a ten-year-old, it might seem impossible. And who is really the target audience for Animal Crossing games -- nostalgic college students or little kids?

#26  Share
Knights of HyruleIridium  

Iridium

Zora's Iridium

• 39,883 posts

And who is really the target audience for Animal Crossing games -- nostalgic college students or little kids?

Japanese women aged 19-24.

Edited by Iridium, Jun 17 2013, 07:50 AM

• Rorschach likes this

#27  Share
rubin3364

rubin3364

The King of Sting

• 1,686 posts

Well played. I'd give you a gold star if I could.

What I mean is, difficulty is subjective. When I played Pokemon Red as a 6-year-old, for example, I found it incredibly difficult and couldn't make it through the Elite Four. When I visited it in high school, I beat it easily. The same can be said about Animal Crossing; there was a time I couldn't even imagine 1,000,000 bells, and now even while playing the Gamecube version, I can easily reach that goal.

#28  Share
Zarnium

Zarnium
  • 1,082 posts
After having played the game a lot more, I can't say that I'm coming into a lot of money from island visits. I guess if I stayed for hours I would, but beetle hunting there is really boring. It's more fun and rewarding to spend time in your town, so I do that a lot more.

#29  Share
PlumberZelda

Zelda

Princess of destiny

• 63,962 posts

Eh. I generally can make money anywhere in the game if I want to. Especially through fishing. Caught 3 sharks in a row yesterday, 5 in the span of ten minutes. Some of it is luck based, but whatever. There's a lot more things to waste money on this game and too many stupid requirements ( catalogue 100 furniture, 50 clothing items, spend so many bells at shop x or y) to not have easy ways to grind. ) I appreciate the island as an aside. I also agree it's good for non summer months as most the other seasons are lesser in terms of income. Even fruits pale in comparison. Additionally it takes much longer to fill up the basket depending on the time you go to the island. Especially if you limit yourself to items that are worth 2,000 or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users