Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aika Village Discussion+Theory Thread (SPOILERS)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1  Share
Melee_Gurl

Melee_Gurl

My Reason For Being Here? Morbid Curiosity.

• 44,323 posts

WARNING: This thread contains spoilers for the Japanese Dream Suite "Aika Village". This thread is for discussing the Village and theories of what it's story is. The topic of Aika Village constitutes mature conversation and is not suitable for all members of the Forum. Please consider this before reading and participating.

Also, please don't post "I don't like Aika Village", "It's disturbing" and other such comments. It doesn't really add to a productive conversation.

Please be respectful when posting theories and keep things to a relative "T" rating. This is Animal Crossing we're talking about here.

-----

Alright, now that all the formalities are out of the way, let's get down to the topic at hand. Aika Village, for those who are living under a box and don't know, Aika is a creepy village designed by a girl/woman from Japan. It's really an amazing and artistic village that took a huge amount of effort and planning but wrapped inside of it is a story that the creator doesn't want to give away.

I've seen threads like this on other boards and since I'm a fan of Aika Village myself, I wanted to see if we could have a conversation about the Village and put together our collective ideas.

I'll put up some topic starters first and see if we can get some ideas flowing and then touch on my ideas.

What is the meaning of the "Doll Tea Party" Room? Does the number of dolls (12) have any significance? The idea that there was some sort of betrayal is in my mind because there is twelve dolls and there's an axe behind only one.

What does the back room in the second house represent? Turning the camera around you'll see there are two sets of eyes watching all the backwards facing toys. I haven't been able to figure this room out and getting ideas doesn't come easily...

What do the beehives in the Police Station mean? What is the symbolism of the hedge and library mazes? What about the Queen Nefitiri statues in the final home? There are so many things to dicuss...

What about the Ramshackle Piano Room off of the Book Maze? Aside from the idea of "walking on egg shells", which makes sense to me, I don't understand it completely.

Who thinks that the doll is the killer? Or what do you think happened to the family?

My initial concept upon my first of three visits was that the Doll became extremely jealous of Aika's love of her mother and in turn obsessed over keeping the girl to herself. She plotted a murder (the basement in the third house) and once killing off the family fenced Aika in with her. Upon walking the beach, I think Aika committed suicide (the red shoes on the beach) and that her grave is the one off the beach.

After thinking and visiting more, I found that the story is much, much deeper and that not everyone is the story was killed. While Aika undoubtedly did, there had to be someone else to leave the flowers, candy and time capsule at her site.

What puzzles me most of all is the idea of whether or not the doll was a literal threat or if she has more figurative meaning. I do think that part of the key (which feels just out of reach) is that we first see her with the axe at the Tea Party where it's "concealed".

There's so many concepts floating around but I'm excited to see what everyone else has to say about Aika Village.

Discuss.

#2  Share
Zora

Zora

Iridium's Zora

• 43,451 posts

I don't think the doll is meant to be anything more than a metaphor of what Aika's mother wants her to be. Her mother gave Aika a doll, and her mother wanted her to be as perfect as a doll. I feel this is made most clear in the last room where you have the busts of both fake and real mystic statues staring at Aika and the doll together. Despite the mother's desire to perfect her child, she's going through a divorce herself and her own imperfections are really showing. Aika can't take all the pressure from her mother and the hypocrisy, and the family is falling apart due to this divorce.

This ultimately culminates in Aika taking her own life (the red boat shows were left the beach, suggesting she drowned), and a grave on the northern most beach that is presumably Aika's grave.

I could flesh it out a bit more going through room by room or every last detail, but eh, that's the general impression I got after reading a few fan theories and seeing the place for myself.

Edit: there's always some ambiguity on what's the third and fourth house. I take the third house to be the book maze, and the sloppy version of the first house to be the fourth house.

Edited by Zora, Aug 14 2013, 06:11 PM

#3  Share
Terranort

Terranort
  • 8,436 posts

So by, "maturity," do you mean in age or personality?

Also, brb, gonna search for more info on what the hell you're talking about.

#4  Share
Melee_Gurl

Melee_Gurl

• 44,323 posts

I don't think the doll is meant to be anything more than a metaphor of what Aika's mother wants her to be. Her mother gave Aika a doll, and her mother wanted her to be as perfect as a doll. I feel this is made most clear in the last room where you have the busts of both fake and real mystic statues staring at Aika and the doll together. Despite the mother's desire to perfect her child, she's going through a divorce herself and her own imperfections are really showing. Aika can't take all the pressure from her mother and the hypocrisy, and the family is falling apart due to this divorce.

This ultimately culminates in Aika taking her own life (the red boat shows were left the beach, suggesting she drowned), and a grave on the northern most beach that is presumably Aika's grave.

I could flesh it out a bit more going through room by room or every last detail, but eh, that's the general impression I got after reading a few fan theories and seeing the place for myself.

Edit: there's always some ambiguity on what's the third and fourth house. I take the third house to be the book maze, and the sloppy version of the first house to be the fourth house.

Yeah, when I was guiding a couple of friends through the whole third and fourth house topic came up, but I think the path is fairly clear on which one is which. The ramshackle house is right in your path as you go around the bend which makes me think it's the third and the messy home just seems final to me.

I see what you mean about the doll being a representation of Aika. I've seen theories like that online and they do make sense and hold a lot of validity. It's like Aika is giving you the doll at the beginning like she's being a guide, hence the present at the beginning of the Dream.

Although I find that it leaves a few gaps as to some of the details in the house. Like the bed in the basement of the third house, the Doll Party and such. I think it would be fun to break down those rooms. Since so much work and detail went into it, I enjoy reading into these things. Although, I usually don't go for such dark stuff...

What are your impressions on the party room? And do you think there's any unanswered questions in your mind?

So by, "maturity," do you mean in age or personality?

Also, brb, gonna search for more info on what the hell you're talking about.

Maturity as in age, it's not really a fluffy nice Animal Crossing conversation.

#5  Share
AGES  

AGES

VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME

• 12,430 posts

One of these days, I have to dream about this town after hearing so many comments about how disturbing and creepy it is. Just how exactly are the townsfolk in the town, anyway?  Are they disturbed by the way the town looks or just as disturbing.

Edited by AGES, Aug 14 2013, 06:51 PM

#6  Share
Melee_Gurl

Melee_Gurl

• 44,323 posts

One of these days, I have to dream about this town after hearing so many comments about how disturbing and creepy it is. Just how exactly are the townsfolk in the town, anyway?  Are they disturbed by the way the town looks or just as disturbing.

The Villagers are actually fine, which is pretty funny. Considering you can be walking around a ruined landscape and then talk to someone and they say... "This Town is the best!"

They clearly don't get out very much...

You should really check it out if stuff like that doesn't bother you. It's a marvel that displays New Leaf's customization to the max.

• AGES likes this

#7  Share
AGES  

AGES

VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME

• 12,430 posts

You should really check it out if stuff like that doesn't bother you. It's a marvel that displays New Leaf's customization to the max.

It hopefully won't bother me. I'll be sure to check it out... :robotwink:

#8  Share
iEaTkEtChUp

iEaTkEtChUp
  • 256 posts

I've only got to visit it once, and I was going to try to form my own theory.. but then other people came up with better ones and I was ashamed. XD

BUT ANYWAY, I really need to visit it a few more times to really soak it in.

My favorite theory so far is that the whole town represents Aika's fall into insanity...

It starts out happy, and slowly blends into this really disturbed idea... 

Someone pointed out that that Aika was slowly stumbling over the word "mom" and not "love", so she's struggling with her mom, I believe, in the story.

I also noticed that Aika is kind of dressed like the doll that's all over the place. I think the doll is supposed to represent the perfect image her mom had for her, and in the beginning, Aika had a great relationship with her mother... But as she grew, it fell apart.

The weird maze thing after the first house I think represents Aika lost, falling into holes (like you do with the pitfalls) over and over again, struggling to find a way out. There's candy and toys littered in the maze, so I'm thinking it alludes to her childhood... Maybe it's about her growing up?

And then you have the room with the exit signs and the invisible blocks on the floor (which I LOVED, by the way. :D). I read a theory I agree with that states this room symbolizes Aika's desire to escape.

As well, of course, you have the room with the piano and "eggshells," the fake and real statues, and all of the toys turning away from her... Is that her growing up and her childhood slipping away?

Another room that adds to this theory is the room with the mom drawing surfacing all of the furniture. Aika becomes obsessed with pleasing her mom. She's everywhere. Someone pointed out the caged bird as Aika trying to sing and be free, but being stuck in a constricting lifestyle. Actually, there was even something about a bird being able to be forced to mimic notes...

Finally, she falls apart.

There's a few things I can't really put a meaning to, though...

--the doghouses that are buried

--the whole axe deal

--The bookcase room?

I think on the doghouse one someone suggested that the mom would buy all of these dogs and then kill them as punishment. O____________o

Edited by iEaTkEtChUp, Aug 14 2013, 09:11 PM

• Melee_Gurl likes this

#9  Share
Melee_Gurl

Melee_Gurl

• 44,323 posts

I've only got to visit it once, and I was going to try to form my own theory.. but then other people came up with better ones and I was ashamed. XD

BUT ANYWAY, I really need to visit it a few more times to really soak it in.

My favorite theory so far is that the whole town represents Aika's fall into insanity...

It starts out happy, and slowly blends into this really disturbed idea... 

Someone pointed out that that Aika was slowly stumbling over the word "mom" and not "love", so she's struggling with her mom, I believe, in the story.

I also noticed that Aika is kind of dressed like the doll that's all over the place. I think the doll is supposed to represent the perfect image her mom had for her, and in the beginning, Aika had a great relationship with her mother... But as she grew, it fell apart.

The weird maze thing after the first house I think represents Aika lost, falling into holes (like you do with the pitfalls) over and over again, struggling to find a way out. There's candy and toys littered in the maze, so I'm thinking it alludes to her childhood... Maybe it's about her growing up?

And then you have the room with the exit signs and the invisible blocks on the floor (which I LOVED, by the way. :D). I read a theory I agree with that states this room symbolizes Aika's desire to escape.

As well, of course, you have the room with the piano and "eggshells," the fake and real statues, and all of the toys turning away from her... Is that her growing up and her childhood slipping away?

Another room that adds to this theory is the room with the mom drawing surfacing all of the furniture. Aika becomes obsessed with pleasing her mom. She's everywhere. Someone pointed out the caged bird as Aika trying to sing and be free, but being stuck in a constricting lifestyle. Actually, there was even something about a bird being able to be forced to mimic notes...

Finally, she falls apart.

There's a few things I can't really put a meaning to, though...

--the doghouses that are buried

--the whole axe deal

--The bookcase room?

I think on the doghouse one someone suggested that the mom would buy all of these dogs and then kill them as punishment. O____________o

First of all, forgive me for not being around. Not only has work gotten in the way of my life but I'm also out in the boonies right now with no internet at all. Hahahaha. Public computers, FTW. I feel like a teenager again.

Anyways, I like your ideas a lot and there's no doubt that Aika went insane. I also agree with pretty much everything you've just said. It makes total sense to me and in essence, it's amazing that a truly 'wordless' story has gotten everyone's imagination so active. I love the idea of breaking the language barrier and Aika Village is a prime example of that.

I was wondering what you thought of the second and third houses. Assuming you believe the third house is the one with the book maze as I do. I feel like since their layouts don't match the first and fourth houses that maybe this isn't where Aika is living, physically. That maybe those two homes are Aika's mind reaching out to the person experiencing the story. Or that we're seeing it from behind Aika's eyes. Or that they moved at some point, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they would have ended up back at the last house in the end. Do you think those two houses could be figurative, as how Aika is viewing her life and the things going on around her. Like comparing her parents issues to that of Original Sin?

That would lead into your question about the bookcase room. I've heard people say that maybe it relates to her studies or having knowledge forced on her... I kind of agree with that and don't. If you notice how the book cases are obstructing the pictures of the family, and how the thermin and water bird make a sort of disorienting noise, I feel like maybe this is how Aika feels assailed by the many things/problems in her life. That they're so distracting or blocking her from being herself that she can no longer see her family straight. She must still be a child at this point because there is candy in the room, although considerably less than there was in the maze...

...The axe, the axe that started me on the idea that the doll was a murderous nutcase. I've ready about it as well as people seem to feel that if the doll represents Aika then the axe represents her wanting to break free from everything... Which kind of makes sense. But I still feel off lumping Aika and her doll into one since they aren't technically dressed the same and since there is a doll like it in pretty much every villagers house... Also, the fact that the axe is behind the doll at the party where there is twelve dolls leads me to believe it has something to do with betrayal... Not too sure but that is the first time we see the axe appear.

The doghouses are a mystery to me. Honestly, I can't make a lot of sense out of them aside from the fact that MAYBE it's to show how neglectful the mother was of things or Aika's inability to handle the responsibility. I think the whole other theory people toss around is kind of watery and doesn't play in well with the nature of the story. It could also prove how bad the living conditions are...

Anyways, I'd love to hear more of what you think and I'm so sorry for vanishing the way I did.~

• iEaTkEtChUp likes this

#10  Share
Bark

Bark

V for Victory

• 4,233 posts

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but MELEE, you said you were going to be missing for another 10 days! I had this little announcement and everything posted in the ACNL Questions thread I think. Why would you do that to me?  y;

• Spookyberry likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users