Welcome to NSider2
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rumor: Network Issues on PS4/Xbox Original

PS4 has DRM! PS4 DRM disabled Next-Gen network issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1  Share
Kouya Aotsuki  

Kouya Aotsuki

Member of Musikus

• 6,611 posts

Discuss.

#2  Share
Punchy

Punchy

Vote for change on June 27th.

• 1,765 posts

To be expected. I doubt any system is going to accomplish launching without a hitch.

#3  Share
LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO
  • 28,897 posts

I was wondering when someone was going to post this. Hopefully it's horrible and some people's consoles fry.

Kind of interesting how this is the proposed rumor of why Watch_Dogs was delayed, which certainly better than saying it's GTAV's fault.

Edited by LUIGITORNADO, Oct 29 2013, 07:36 AM

#4  Share
DivineTrinity

DivineTrinity

"You will listen to my plot-advancing lecture. Got it?"

• 12,755 posts

I was wondering when someone was going to post this. Hopefully it's horrible and some people's consoles fry.

Kind of interesting how this is the proposed rumor of why Watch_Dogs was delayed, which certainly better than saying it's GTAV's fault.

Nah I'm sorry man GTA V is more solid then this reason. The game was about to go gold one or two days before they made they made the announcement of delay if it was really the infrastructure holding it back from the quality they wanted they would have delayed it months ago. Doing it this way by the last minute is really sloppy if it was all hush hush I could see why they waited this long but why would Ubisoft really risk their stocks plummet like this? Now they got to hope Asssassins Creed 4 does well so they could potential have two good quarters back to back.

#5  Share
LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO
  • 28,897 posts

Nah I'm sorry man GTA V is more solid then this reason. The game was about to go gold one or two days before they made they made the announcement of delay if it was really the infrastructure holding it back from the quality they wanted they would have delayed it months ago. Doing it this way by the last minute is really sloppy if it was all hush hush I could see why they waited this long but why would Ubisoft really risk their stocks plummet like this? Now they got to hope Asssassins Creed 4 does well so they could potential have two good quarters back to back.

GTAV being good (more like another overrated GTA game), is not a more reasonable answer. They could've easily been waiting on Sony and Microsoft to get their shit straight, and when that wasn't happening, Ubisoft decided to hold off on launching the game. They have a lot riding on Watch_Dogs. It's better to take a hit now, then release the game on two systems that don't have their shit together; negatively effecting the image of Watch_Dogs and their plans for a franchise.

#6  Share
The Jack Of Hearts  

The Jack Of Hearts

SUPLEX MACHINE!

• 3,410 posts

These are all interesting rumors by this random guy on the internet, but all this seems dicey. Potentially I felt it was common sense to think both PS4 and Xbox One would have some launch day hiccups due to stability issues, but having to rebuild both online infrastructures because of online DRM? Obviously that's gonna be taken with a grain of salt.

With the whole reasoning behind Watch Dog's delay I don't buy it. GTA V, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Battlefield 4 are big enough games that could easily bury a new IP. 

For the whole downgrading of resolution for both PS4 and Xbox One's versions of Call of Duty Ghosts I want that to be true. Not because of hate, but at the thought of random fat kids on the internet raging over how their version looks "better" then the Wii Us would give me a good laugh.

• AGES and LUIGITORNADO like this

#7  Share
PlumberAya  

Aya

ぶっかけ

• 117,390 posts
Considering the original Xbox isn't supported anymore, I would say that's to be expected. theydonothing;

#8  Share
LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO
  • 28,897 posts

These are all interesting rumors by this random guy on the internet, but all this seems dicey. Potentially I felt it was common sense to think both PS4 and Xbox One would have some launch day hiccups due to stability issues, but having to rebuild both online infrastructures because of online DRM? Obviously that's gonna be taken with a grain of salt.

With the whole reasoning behind Watch Dog's delay I don't buy it. GTA V, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Battlefield 4 are big enough games that could easily bury a new IP. 

For the whole downgrading of resolution for both PS4 and Xbox One's versions of Call of Duty Ghosts I want that to be true. Not because of hate, but at the thought of random fat kids on the internet raging over how their version looks "better" then the Wii Us would give me a good laugh.

They think their current gen games run in 1080p because well..."my television is 1080p."

#9  Share
DivineTrinity

DivineTrinity

"You will listen to my plot-advancing lecture. Got it?"

• 12,755 posts

GTAV being good (more like another overrated GTA game), is not a more reasonable answer. They could've easily been waiting on Sony and Microsoft to get their shit straight, and when that wasn't happening, Ubisoft decided to hold off on launching the game. They have a lot riding on Watch_Dogs. It's better to take a hit now, then release the game on two systems that don't have their shit together; negatively effecting the image of Watch_Dogs and their plans for a franchise.

I'm sorry to say that is part of the reason. Why would a NEW IP have against a game that is a huge cult (or your words overrated) hit while that hit ended up selling BILLIONS in a couple of days instead of it taking months like it usually does to hit that goal. Without even counting GTA there is a lot of titles a new IP can't compete with as Jack said (CoD and BF4) Also add in Ubisoft was aiming for 6+ million sales for Watch Dogs and those three titles being there also, it just doesn't make sense on them reaching it this holiday season. It will be ignored from the bigger titles. 

I don't buy it doesn't seem reasonable to think they would wait it out to see what happens with the online infrastructure. That's really a bad way to run a business. What I said in my previous post if it had to do with quality of the product they would have delayed it earlier especially if it was about the online since Watch Dogs relies on it. Waiting for Sony/MS is a gamble which no company would do this its not good for their investors or them. For the final blow why wasn't Killzone and AC4 delayed those games are more online heavy then the two player mode is in Watch Dogs.

@Jack:

If CoD is 720p native this gen for PS4 and X1 I would be content. The games were never native 720p for 360/PS3 so if anything I would consider it progress for this gen.  y; Though I'm just going to debunk the whole thing, since both Adam Boyes (Sony exec) and Scott Lowe (IGN Tech editor that was invited to IW for an exclusive series of previews on the PS4 version) confirmed that the PS4 version ran at a native 1080p resolution. Come on lets just use some common sense here if resolution had anything to do with network performance we would still be playing in 480p cause of CoD since that network they have for those games seems to get worse and worse each installment. 

#10  Share
Kouya Aotsuki  

Kouya Aotsuki

Member of Musikus

• 6,611 posts

If it helps any, even GAF has been talking about Xbox One *coughOriginalcough* and it's supposed network infrastructure issues.

Considering the original Xbox isn't supported anymore, I would say that's to be expected. theydonothing;

Welp, they should have picked a better name then Xbox One. y;

I also think someone here let part of the issue fly past them. theydonothing;

#11  Share
cory78

cory78
  • 5,872 posts
This all seems pretty iffy. I kind of wish this story had come out when I used to know someone who was working on the Xbox One. I don't know how reliable this guy is, so a few things he's said I would say are very possible, but some other things seem wrong. His sources are probably Microsoft and Sony employees, which lends a very small amount of credibility to the story. The only people who would know intricate details like this would be directly involved with the mentioned PS4 and Xbox One systems. Companies do that so that there are as few leaks as possible, with decent consequences for said leaks. The rest of the employees would only have rumors to work off of.

Saying that Sony originally had heavy DRM in their system design is very possible. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the case, but releasing a day 1 patch to remedy this is a bit more of a stretch. It would seem much more likely to me that they ship without that issue. By then they will have had 4+ months to update their software, so shoving that out last minute doesn't seem right.

The idea that the Xbox One and PS4 will both have cripple network abilities due to rebuilding their networks to remove DRM is less believable. This seems like some rumor a Sony fanboy made up about the Xbox One, then it got turned around on the PS4. It would be pretty funny if this were the case, but I don't expect either company to have these issues when the systems are launched.

Come on lets just use some common sense here if resolution had anything to do with network performance we would still be playing in 480p cause of CoD since that network they have for those games seems to get worse and worse each installment.

It depends on the type of information being sent and received for a game. I suppose resolution could be cut to save some info, but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

#12  Share
PlumberAya  

Aya

ぶっかけ

• 117,390 posts

I also think someone here let part of the issue fly past them. theydonothing;

more like i wanted to make a bad joke

#13  Share
Kouya Aotsuki  

Kouya Aotsuki

Member of Musikus

• 6,611 posts