Welcome to NSider2

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red

Government Regulating Video Games

32 posts in this topic

Gamers: Now is the time to stand up and be counted!

Ad replacement [iframe]

Ad replacement [iframe]

For nearly two decades, elected officials have tried to regulate which video games you can buy, rent and play. Every single time they’ve passed a law, the federal courts have struck it down as unconstitutional. But this may change this fall.

The Supreme Court of the United States has agreed to hear the State of California’s infamous ‘violent video game case,’ Schwarzenegger v. EMA. That means that this year, or early next, the Court is going to decide whether to agree with the lower federal courts or not. Agreeing would mean that they believe that video games are, and should continue to be, First Amendment protected speech; just like books, movies and music. The court disagreeing would mean that they think video games should be treated differently. This could lead to new bills and laws curtailing video game access in states across the country.

It is no exaggeration to state that their hearing represents the single most important moment for gamers, and the pivotal issue for gaming, in the sector’s history.

Over this summer, we’ll be drafting and formally submitting our amicus brief, which will be included with the other official court documents related to the case. Separately, we will also attach a petition signed by you, the American public, which –by its very existence – will publicly define who the consumers of interactive entertainment are and why we care enough about the issue to take the time to make the effort to speak up and make our voices heard. The petition establishes an authoritative collective position which cannot be redefined by detractors nor co-opted by others. And it enshrines each and every signatory’s participation in the court documents and in the U.S. National Archives’ official records related to the case.

If you’re an American gamer, and you care about gaming and your rights, stand up and be counted; sign the petition today!

THE GAMER PETITION:

We, the undersigned American video game consumers, purchase, rent and play video games the way we do other entertainment content such as movies and music. We respectfully request that you hold that video games are indeed free speech, protected under the First Amendment, like other entertainment media.

Source

I guess someone is going to the supreme court trying to get video games regulated differently then music and movies. Your thoughts?

This doesn't matter to me since I'm really not playing games as much. Let the young kids be spoiled and learn from their mistakes.

Actually I think this plan might just work if they do something about M rated games- an official ID card stating your age. This will prevent younglings from getting games they shouldn't be playing...

Simple solution: move to Canada

already there. its a shame how nuts some lobby groups are in the states. god i love my country...just no more g20's for awhile...please no more retarded hippies for a couple years.

Violent video games do no turn kids into psychopaths & murderers. Just because you play GTA it doesn't mean you're going to go out and kill a prostitute. The blame should be directed at the parents for not raising them right. The ones who think they should ban certain video games are either old, or incredibly religious. Even so, the religious won't let there kids buy the games period. All this is going to do is piss a lot of gamers off, including myself. Besides, there's no evidence that links violence to violent video games. If anything I think video games to an extent help regulate violence themselves.

Well, I'm almost old enough to buy M Rated without my parents. (Just about 2 months.)

I hope the feds don't screw up the rating system.

I actually am not quite sure what I think about this.

On one hand, it is a good point that movies and books are free to be watched or read, but on the other hand, Books aren't Video Games. In books, you can only imagine what you know, you couldn't imagine things you hadn't already seen. Video Games however show you exactly what it is that's happening, violence and things of the like.

And children these days need to read more anyway.

I think politicians are stupid. I can't wait until all the kids who grew up with these violent video games without being affected at all are the politicians and abolish all this ****.

The article is misrepresentative.

In fact, the Supreme Court is deciding whether to institute a ratings system to video games, similar to those for movies.

However, the sheer dumb-assery of it is that not only do video games have a ratings board, but the video game's ratings board is about five hundred times better than the movie's ratings board.

This doesn't matter to me since I'm really not playing games as much. Let the young kids be spoiled and learn from their mistakes.

Actually I think this plan might just work if they do something about M rated games- an official ID card stating your age. This will prevent younglings from getting games they shouldn't be playing...

Uh, they already ID you. And official ID stating your age? It's called a driver's license. Don't like thinking about things a whole lot, do you?

I think politicians are stupid. I can't wait until all the kids who grew up with these violent video games without being affected at all are the politicians and abolish all this ****.

I grew up with games like Mortal Kombat, which is the reason that they invented the M rating. I'm doing alright.

Mlr10.jpg

Zena and Red like this

Don't video game ratings go up to A? You can't buy a game if you're under 17 even with parent consent, I think. They're probably going to start using that rating more often because I have never seen a rated A video game. Yet, the ESRB has it as one of there ratings.

So they want to punish the majority of gamers who don't do this to take care of the minority who do, a minority that can be dealt with in a much more effective way.

sakura;

Don't video game ratings go up to A? You can't buy a game if you're under 17 even with parent consent, I think. They're probably going to start using that rating more often because I have never seen a rated A video game. Yet, the ESRB has it as one of there ratings.

That is because most retailers do not carry rated A games.

There are tons of A games you just can't buy them at brick and mortar stores.

I'm sure crap like this gets appointed to the supreme court often and gets denied. Really, it's unconstitutional.

The rating system is already a bit strict as it is anyways. :P

So they want to punish the majority of gamers who don't do this to take care of the minority who do, a minority that can be dealt with in a much more effective way.

sakura;

That's what happens with more authorities. Everyone gets punished for a small group's actions.

In fact, the Supreme Court is deciding whether to institute a ratings system to video games, similar to those for movies.

However, the sheer dumb-assery of it is that not only do video games have a ratings board, but the video game's ratings board is about five hundred times better than the movie's ratings board.

E=G

E10+=PG

T=PG-13

M=R

AO=XXX 18+

Don't see how thats 500 times worse.

Actually I think this plan might just work if they do something about M rated games- an official ID card stating your age. This will prevent [acronym2=How hard is it to type children?]younglings[/acronym2] from getting games they shouldn't be playing...

School ID, Drivers License...? y;

Little kids are just going to get their parents to buy them games, Its not like changing the age you can buy games is going to change anything unless your already mature enough and still have to go buy a game with a parent/guardian.

E=G

E10+=PG

T=PG-13

M=R

AO=XXX 18+

Don't see how thats 500 times worse.

The film ratings board is run by a small group of lifetime-appointed members, the majority of which are all of a single demographic: old, white, and Christian.

There are no clear-cut guidelines for what entails a G, PG, R, etc movie, and filmmakers are not allowed to be given an active appeals process.

Video game ratings are industry-run and thus not ****ing retarded.