Welcome to NSider2

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QuesoDeLaNoche

Is a PS3 a worthwhile investment this holiday?

34 posts in this topic

With incoming release of the next gen consoles this fall, current gen consoles are likely to take a price drop. This gen I've only owned a 360, but I'm really thinking about getting a PS3 to catch up on all the amazing exclusives I've missed. I plan on eventually getting a PS4 in a couple of years. Because of this, does it make sense to still get a PS3 this year?

Yes it is :). It has a pretty good library. Haven't gotten one just yet myself but I plan on doing so, possibly this summer sometime. Going after a slim version though, since I heard that the super slim models aren't as good in terms of how they were made.

Yes.

PS3 still has a few big games in the pipleline such as GTAV, FFXIII-3, and GT6.

Sony says they cannot drop the price of PS3 anytime soon due to how expensive the Cell Proecssor is to make.

Also Sony just stated the other day that Vita is a Pockt sized PS4...

Hopefully in a few years PS4 will actually have more than 2 exlcusives.

Yes.

PS3 still has a few big games in the pipleline such as GTAV, FFXIII-3, and GT6.

Sony says they cannot drop the price of PS3 anytime soon due to how expensive the Cell Proecssor is to make.

Also Sony just stated the other day that Vita is a Pockt sized PS4...

Hopefully in a few years PS4 will actually have more than 2 exlcusives.

At least it isn't as expensive as it used to be. $300 something for a system like it (at least the slim) is worth it.

Oh, Hell no. Everything you have heard that is good on the PS3? Complete crap. Among those titles...

-Infamous (Both titles

-Uncharted (The entire trilogy. Yes, even the second game)

-Fallout 3 (Has good quests, but game play blows enough for it to not matter)

-Metal Gear Solid 4 (From a purely game play perspective, it is crap. I will say, however, that I feel that the cut scenes are terrible in content, not in length

- Bayonetta (Okay, actually it is fantastic... but if you have an Xbox, get it for the fucking Xbox.)

-Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are pretty much the only worthwhile games exclusive to the system, and those are PS2 games. 

100%.

It has a number of killer exclusives. Uncharted 1-3 are all excellent games, Infamous 1 and 2 are both very good, The Last of Us is amazing, Resistance 1-3 are all very solid, Heavy Rain is good, and there are some indie exclusives you can get for it that are pretty fun as well. There are more games, but those are the big ones off the top of my head. It's a very good investment, particularly if you enjoy third person games.

100%.

It has a number of killer exclusives. Uncharted 1-3 are all excellent games, Infamous 1 and 2 are both very good, The Last of Us is amazing, Resistance 1-3 are all very solid, Heavy Rain is good, and there are some indie exclusives you can get for it that are pretty fun as well. There are more games, but those are the big ones off the top of my head. It's a very good investment, particularly if you enjoy third person games.

I know for a fact that the bolded ones are lies, propagated by people who wouldn't know a good game if it slammed into them with Samus Aran's Speed Booster. 

As The Last of Us is made by the same people as Uncharted, I imagine it shares it's problems. (Going purely by what people are saying about it, it does) 

I hear Heavy Rain has terrible writing, but I have not experienced it for myself, so I will not say otherwise. I do know that is not supposed to be a 'fun' game. I own Resistance, but I have not played it. 

Besides the titles mentioned, the PS3's library is honestly pretty much identical to the 360's. 

I know for a fact that the bolded ones are lies, propagated by people who wouldn't know a good game if it slammed into them with Samus Aran's Speed Booster. 

As The Last of Us is made by the same people as Uncharted, I imagine it shares it's problems. (Going purely by what people are saying about it, it does) 

I hear Heavy Rain has terrible writing, but I have not experienced it for myself, so I will not say otherwise. I do know that is not supposed to be a 'fun' game. I own Resistance, but I have not played it. 

Besides the titles mentioned, the PS3's library is honestly pretty much identical to the 360's.

Jojo, SRW, R&C, Disgaea 4, Neptunia 2 and 3.

Is this guy the new M! or something? A guy who tries to be edgy?

There's plenty of great games on the PS3 already, and some more coming out soon. Aim for one of the slim models. You may wish to get one of the older Slim models, but you can't go wrong with either. Playstation Plus is something you will likely wish to look into as well.

Like M, it's best to ignore him.

lilty likes this

It's probably a good option if you want to save some money and get a lot of games for cheap. Very decent library and it's still getting a bit of support in 2014.

The lack of any mention of Valkyria Chronicles is disheartening.

Really, now is the perfect time to buy a PS3. There's still stuff to look forward to, and the system has a great library of older titles.

Yeah, just ignore this guy. He's like an aggressive version of M!. Not worth paying attention to.

Anyways, buying a PS3 is indeed a worthwhile investment.

- You can get the Uncharted Trilogy, which is quite good.

- God of War 3 is fantastic (although if you haven't played the others, I would go for the God of War Saga, which has every game besides the newest GoW and is pretty dang cheap).

- Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably my favorite MGS, although it's sad that they took down Metal Gear Online. Multiplayer MGS was so much fun, back when you could play it.

- You can get the Killzone/Resistance games, if those are your thing.

- LittleBigPlanet 1/2 are fun platformers with the most in-depth level editor I have ever seen (playing community-made levels is one of the highlights of such games).

- Infamous 1/2 are pretty good, if you like open-world games.

- Ratchet and Clank Future Trilogy holds some of the best Ratchet and Clank games in the franchise, if you like Ratchet and Clank or have any interest in that.

- Demons Souls is a must. I'm biased, since I like it more than Dark Souls, but it's a great tough as nails action-packed game. It's got plenty of challenge, great atmosphere, and so on. While I'm at it, I'll give a nod to Dark Souls, although that's not exclusive.

- Heavy Rain is fairly good, if you're into "interactive drama adventure games" (according to Wikipedia, I couldn't think of anything better to describe it).

- And finally, there are all the many HD collections for PS2 games, like Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, etc.

It's worth it. Trust me.

I would say no and just tell you to save for a PS4 instead, but there's that whole lack of backwards compatibility thing where you might have to wait a while before you're able to play PS3 games on a PS4.

Oh, and I don't think Devil May Cry has aged particularly well either. Just get Bayonetta. 

I would say no and just tell you to save for a PS4 instead, but there's that whole lack of backwards compatibility thing where you might have to wait a while before you're able to play PS3 games on a PS4.

This is the main thing keeping me from buying a ps4. There won't be a lot of games put at launch and I want to play ps3 games. also, I don't know how well the streaming backwards compatibility will work

Isn't the PS4 just not able to read discs and will have PS3 titles in the library on PSN?

Eventually, PS3 games will be able to be streamed through a service called Gaikai.

Depends on the exclusives you'd like. Little Big Planet 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and The Last of Us are all amazing games. I'm not super big on mondless shooters that don't really stand out, or games that are actually movies, so the rest are either mediocre or not appealing to me. I wouldn't pay more than $200 at this point either way though, too close to next gen.