Welcome to NSider2

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobcheese123

So it finally died...

5 posts in this topic

10 years later this place slowly died a long and needlessly painful death...

I remember sooooo much idiotic drama that lead to what I assume was a long and dreadful spiral downward. Very sad, quite honestly. I was active in NSider community forums for several years before NSider2 came along. I recall NOA_SEAN's (or SHAWN's, I forgot how he spelled it lol) trivia games, the ridiculously hilarious pickle army. Fun times!

NSider2 was founded as a place for NSider forums fans to go after Nintendo of America shut them down (they could have paid for a much cheaper forum hosting option, IMO). Being founded by real members of the Nsider community, it could truly be a new place to call home. Ownership of the forum was somehow snatched away by some nutcase EJRaven who was like 40, btw. He's 40 yrs old and gets a jolly out of power plays with teenagers. What a total clown! He ran the site into the ground, I tried to hold it off as long as I could during my time as an Admin but he eventually demoted everyone and sold it to some forum managing company and here we are today...

I hope everyone I interacted with is doing well in their lives and EJRaven got the counseling he desperately needed.

Nintendo didn't shut Nsider down because hosting was too expensive.  There is a ton of overhead as an actual company that has actual responsibility over posted content.  Every NOA_Whatever was a fully paid employee.  They ain't there just for fun, or on their free time.  That's paid staff, waay more expensive than the cost to run a server.  And as for the expensive hosting, that was to cover the tech maintenance and upkeep, also very expensive, but they outsourced it to Lithium.  Integrating your account, making sure everyone was kept safe, etc.  It's a lot of work, especially when you are Nintendo and hyper over-protective of players and don't want them sharing personal info, you have to hire tons of staff to enforce that.

And consider, any misstep because some pedo manages to lure a child on Nintendo's official forum, guess who is liable for that?  Guess who is getting sued?

It got too big and it was too untenable for any advertising benefit they gained.  So they cut it loose, as any company would do.  Pointless to have that kind of liability over your head.

It kinda sucks, sure, for those of us who enjoyed the community (or trolling the community and getting on the nerves of the staff, lol).  I'll carry a lot of memories from old Nsider and Hyrule Town Square with me.  Whether it was trying to be sneaky and putting the Outsider Che in my sig, using broken HTML to break the page and get a sig much bigger than the size limits allowed (lol, the good old days of unsanitized data fields), completely ruining the SSBM training mode combo leaderboard by discovering and posting about how you can get max combo on any character with a modified black hole glitch...  Good times, man.  Good times.  I'll miss it, as I hold on to what little corners of that broader community persist on (for me, Outsider), but time moves forward.  They're just memories now, don't get stuck in them, move forward.